The ByWater Institute hosts and coordinates public events that promote outreach and scholarly engagement on environmental issues.
Please contact our director at email@example.com to propose an event for support.
- InTeGrate Coastal Hazards, Risk, and Environmental Justice Workshop May 20-22, 2015: Co-hosted with the Science Education Resource Center at Carleton College, this workshop enabled teams of faculty members and trainees to explore the interplay among coastal hazards, risk, and environmental justice and plan for incorporating those issues into their curriculum and campus programs. Please visit the workshop website for details.
- French Ameri-Can Climate TalkS (FACTS) "How can we best prepare for climate change consequences?" November 10, 2014: Co-hosted with the French Consulate in New Orleans and the French Embassy in Washington, DC. This event featured an afternoon program with experts from France and the US discussing the potential consequences of climate change and how we can prepare as a society. Please see http://facts.france-science.org/2014-program/#new-orleans for more details and to view the archived video of the live stream.
- French Perspectives on Coastline Protection and Natural Disaster Prevention May 14, 2014: a delegation of French scientists shared their work on coastal disaster response and risk management. Co-hosted by the Tulane Law School, the Tulane Institute on Water Resources Law and Policy and the French Consulate.
- Research seminar: Avian host stage density and stage specific vector feeding preferences drive West Nile virus transmission November 21, 2013: Seminar by Kevin Caillouet, Research Entomologist, St. Tammany Mosquito Abatement District. Co-hosted by the Department of Mathematics and the Center for Computational Science.
- US-China Energy and Trade: A public discussion with Chinese officials October 17, 2013: Co-hosted by the Payson Center for International Development, the Tulane School of Law, the Tulane Energy Institute, the AB Freeman School of Business, and the World Trade Center of New Orleans.
- Faculty Workshop on Energy, Environment and Sustainability March 22, 2013: Co-hosted with the Tulane Energy Institute and the School of Science and Engineering.
- Common Coasts: French and Louisiana Perspectives on Coastal Restoration January 18, 2013: Co-hosted with the Tulane Institute on Water Resources Law and Policy.
- Why Are We Here: Mobile and the Spirit of a Southern City, a talk by the Authors E.O. Wilson and Alex Harris October 15, 2012: Co-hosted with A Studio in the Woods, the New Orleans Center for the Gulf South and the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology.
- US/China Eco-partnership September 27-29, 2012: A forum with a visiting delegation of Chinese scholars to develop collaborations with Tulane scholars on energy and the environment co-hosted with the Tulane Institute on Water Resources Law and Policy and the Payson Center for International Development.